WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- A new national study of public and private high schools named 18 schools in Westchester County among the most challenging in New York State.
According to the report, the study ranks schools through an index formula that is a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, according to the report.
City Honors in Buffalo was ranked the most challenging school in New York State with an index of 9.121. American Indian Public Charter School in Oakland, Calif., was named the most challenging school in America with an index of 21.909 in the Post's study.
The Westchester schools ranked in the study include:
1. Bronxville High School (4.933)
2. Rye High School (4.220)
3. Yonkers High School (4.212)
4. Harrison High School (4.205)
5. Irvington High School (3.882)
6. Dobbs Ferry High School (3.537)
7. Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua (3.371)
8. Croton-Harmon High School, Croton (3.349)
9. Edgemont High School, Scarsdale (3.321)
10. Rye Neck High School, Mamaroneck (3.155)
11. Pleasantville High School (3.088)
12. Hastings High School (3.034)
13. Briarcliff High School (2.841)
14. Pelham Memorial High School (2.814)
15. Mamaroneck High School (2.590)
16. Fox Lane High School, Bedford (2.315)
17. Scarsdale High Scool (1.157)
18. Palisade Prep, Yonkers (1.047)
This article has been updated as the Washington Post omitted Fox Lane High School from its original list.
- 1 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 2 Ossining Teacher, Former Coach Reassigned After Felony DWI Charge
- 3 Sandra Lee Returns Home After Double To New Castle After Double Mastectomy
- 4 Westchester Parades, Dedications Celebrate True Meaning Of Memorial Day
- 5 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Grows, Report Says