PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. -- Pleasantville High School’s production of “Carousel” is one of 48 high school productions from the Lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, and Bergen counties) that chose to participate in the 2016 Metro Awards, the high school equivalent of Broadway’s Tonys.
“Carousel” received twelve nominations in the following categories:
- Overall Production
- Actor in a Leading Role: James McCarthy (Billy Bigelow)
- Featured Ensemble Member: Milton Esiker (The Starkeeper)
- Dance Performance, Female: Sophie Dora Tulchin (Louise Bigelow)
- Duet: Elena Phethean (Carrie Pipperidge) and Sonya McGaffey (Julie Jordan), “You’re a Queer One, Julie Jordan”
- Chorus; Direction: Kathleen Donovan-Warren
- Musical Direction: Thomas Heintzelman
- Choreography: Annie Doss
- Costume Design: Amy Franks
- Scenic Design: James Britt
- Student Critic: Katie Bartz.
Additionally, stage manager Mark Damboragian was nominated for Technical Merit, which is a teacher-nominated award. This is the third consecutive Actor in a Leading Role nomination for James McCarthy, who previously won for both “South Pacific” and “Man of La Mancha.” The Metros award ceremony will be held on June 6 at Archbishop Stepinac High School.