PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. – Bedford Road kindergartners enjoying Main Street Math tops the weekly district happenings from May 4-8:
Kindergarten students enjoyed Main Street Math on May 7. Students spent the morning visiting “Main Street” establishments (classrooms) such as a bank and a bakery, where they engaged in math activities related to each of them.
- The Board of Education held a budget hearing on the proposed 2015-16 school budget
- The board approved two resolutions regarding APPR (Annual Professional Performance Review) and the Regents’ June 30 deadline
- The board's budget hearing and meeting on May 5 is available in its entirety here .
Also at Bedford Road School:
- Students in Mrs. Prizeman’s class performed "Inside Pitch" on the Bedford Road School stage. The second graders entertained their audience with the history of baseball while emphasizing the importance of being proud of who you are and always treating others with kindness.
- The Bedford Road School PTA celebrated Teacher Appreciation Week by providing lunches, teas and breakfast for the staff.
At the Middle School:
- Sixteen students participated in the Olympics of the Visual Arts, a statewide art competition, in Saratoga Springs April 30 with the following results: First place, graphic design – Oksana Aikens; second place, drawing – Travis Rapley; third place, photography – Meaghan Ennis and Isabella Pepdjonovic; honorable mention – Chloe Peters (illustration), Lizzy Hayes and Anahita Subramanya (architecture), Carolina Hernandez and Daniela Rodriguez (drawing), Ryan Burton and Lily Vance (painting), Brienna Ahmetaj, Star DelCastillo, Jenna Elluzzi and Amelia Morton (painting) and Austin Altman (sculpture).
- May 4 was “Change Your Energy Day,” a holistic wellness initiative. Students participated in six sessions (yoga, reiki, mindfulness, cardio fitness, healthy snacks and character education) that were meant to foster an awareness of, and spark a curiosity about, the mind-body connection. It was an opportunity to break away from daily routines, and experience something different.
- On May 7, the seventh- and eighth-grade band, jazz band, orchestra, chorus and select chorus opened the spring season with a spring concert.
- Seventh-graders participated in Career Day on May 8. Students circulated among 20 stations where parent and community volunteers provided information and interactive activities that showcased each career.
At the High School:
- Laura Chapman, Samantha D’Angelo, Elizabeth Faulkner, Silpaa Gunabalan, Mallory Kantor, Luisa Klein, Jillian Labruzzo and Mega Patel participated in the Olympics of the Visual Arts, a statewide art competition, held at Saratoga Springs on April 30.
Here are some of the events rounding out the week of May 11-16 in the Pleasantville School District:
- Friday, May 15: Principal’s Coffee for parents of sixth-grade students at 7:45 a.m. in the middle school principal’s office
- Friday, May 15: Middle School PTA Fun Night from 7–9 p.m. at the Pleasantville Middle School
- Saturday, May 16: Pleasantville Day, including the Community Scholarship Fund Kids Fun Run & Middle School Relay
- Saturday, May 16: Pleasantville High School Art Show from 11 a.m.–4 p.m. at the Jacob Burns Media Arts Lab
Upcoming Events May 18–22:
- May 18–21: Bedford Road School Kindergarten Screening (by appointment)
- May 18: STEM Career Fair from 7–9 p.m. at the Pleasantville High School Cafeteria
- May 19: Annual budget vote and board election from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the Middle School Multipurpose Room
- May 19: Bedford Road School PTA Bake Sale from 2:30–7 p.m. in the cafeteria
- May 19: Bedford Road School Art Show from 5:30–7 p.m., Bedford Road School Art Room
- May 19: Board of education meeting from 7:30 p.m. in the Pleasantville High School Library Media Center
- May 20–21: NYS Science Performance Test for grades 4 and 8
- May 20: Middle school and High School progress reports available on eSchoolData
- May 20: Middle school grade 6 spring concert at 7:30 p.m. at the Pleasantville High School auditorium May 21: Grade 4 to Grade 5 parent orientation at 7 p.m. in the middle school multipurpose room
- May 21: Pleasantville High School parent council meeting at 7 p.m. in the High School Library Media Center
- May 22: Schools will be closed for an unused snow day