PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. -- The war in Iraq was a terrible mistake according to one Vietnam War veteran.
Bert Ruiz, a Vietnam veteran and Pleasantville resident, said the country never learned from the lessons of Vietnam before it went to Iraq in 2003.
"You cannot occupy another country," Ruiz said.
Ruiz said many soldiers are anti-war as they see the costs of war firsthand.
Scott Elliott, who served in Iraq, said U.S. troops poured their heart and soul into Iraq.
"It was rough to lose friends," Elliot said.
Elliot said he thinks the word terrorist is overused by the media and said he doesn't believe that the people in the ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) are terrorists.
"They are accomplishing military goals," Elliot said.
Elliott said he was angry that the Iraqi army, whom the U.S. spent billions training and arming, is simply surrendering without fighting.
"That really bothers me," Elliott said.
- 1 Saw Mill Parkway Wrong-Way Driver Charged With DWI ID'd
- 2 Pleasantville Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Pleasantville
- 4 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer
- 5 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Pleasantville, Blizzard Watch Issued