YONKERS, N.Y. -- The motorcyclist killed in a crash on the Saw Mill River Parkway in Yonkers Friday has been identified as former Ms. Magazine editor Mary Thom, according to Westchester County police.
Thom, 68, was killed when her motorcycle clipped a car and threw her to the road at around 4:20 p.m. Police shut down the Saw Mill River Parkway in both directions until about 9 p.m. while they investigated the accident and cleared the scene.
Thom was a long-time editor for the feminist magazine Ms. and later wrote and consulted for non-profit women's organizations such as the National Council for Research on Women. She is the author of several books, and was most recently an editor for Women's Media Center Features.
"Mary was one of the great writers, editors, and visionaries of the women's movement, and the heart and soul of Women's Media Center's feature writing," said Julie Burton, president of Women's Media Center. "From her work in the early days of Ms. Magazine right up until this week, hers was a clear, strong voice for equality—and her editorial talents lifted so many other voices as well."
- 1 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 2 Emergency Responders Rescue Injured Hiker Near Bear Mountain Bridge
- 3 Severe Storms Could Cause Flooding In Pleasantville
- 4 Homicide Ruled As Cause Of Death For Man Found In Mount Kisco, Police Say
- 5 Suspect Charged In Mount Kisco Homicide