PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- St. John's Episcopal Church in Pleasantville and St. Peter's Church in Peekskill were two of 14 churches that received site grants from the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
The conservancy awarded $25,000 to St. John’s Episcopal Church in Pleasantville to assist with roofing, masonry and drainage repairs to the church and parish hall, and $25,000 to St. Peter’s Church in Peekskill to assist with restoration of the slate roof, bell tower structural frame, roof and masonry.
“These grants mark the 30-year milestone of our Sacred Sites Program and demonstrate, once again, that maintaining landmark religious buildings preserves our history and benefits the wider community,” said Peg Breen, President, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “We are honored to help these amazing institutions and determined to maintain our ability to do so.”
St. John's Church was established in 1853 as a mission church of Grace Church in White Plains. It moved to Bedford Road in 1885 and in a building that now serves as the Pleasantville Community Synagogue.
St. John's parish house is considered the center of the congregation’s community outreach and houses a local theater group, musicians, and various youth and 12-step programs. The hall is the staging area for a homeless outreach effort known as the Midnight Run. There are also blood drives throughout the year.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church was completed in 1891 to designs by Richard M. Upjohn. The facility is home to numerous community organizations and events including Scout troops, various 12-step meetings, benefit concerts and Fred's Food Pantry. The church serves about 2,000 people annually.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.