ARMONK, N.Y. -- A fire at 21 Faraway Road killed one dog and destroyed an Armonk home on Friday, Jan. 3.
Firefighters arrived on the scene a little after 12 p.m. and found the fire had blown out through the door with the roof collapsing shortly after firefighters arrived, Armonk Fire Chief Richard Waterbury said. The fire department blamed the fierce winds and harsh cold for the fire spreading so quickly.
No one was home at the time of the fire, Waterbury said and no firefighters were hurt.
Firefighters battled the fire despite the cold, using a hydrant operation to prevent hoses from freezing, Waterbury said. Firefighters stayed on scene until 5 p.m.
"Fighting in the cold was very difficult," Waterbury said.
Firefighters found a dog in the basement of the home who had died during the fire, Waterbury said.
Waterbury said the fire was caused by a problem with the furnace and is not suspicious. About 25 firefighters from Armonk battled the blaze with the fire department receiving mutual aid from Banksville, North White Plains, Mount Kisco, Bedford Hills, Pleasantville, Millwood and Somers.
"It's good we can count on mutual aid in the middle of the day when we call for it," Waterbury said. "It's nice to know we can depend on other departments."
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Pleasantville
- 3 Pleasantville Junior Drillock Commits To Siena For Lacrosse
- 4 Pleasantville Music Festival Launches Kickstarter
- 5 Ambush-Style Killings Of NYPD Officers Spark Outrage In Westchester