WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y.-- The holiday weekend is upon us and Westchester County, as always, is ablaze with fireworks festivities. What follows is a sampling of where to go for picnics and pyrotechnics. As always check the weather forecast and town websites to make sure nothing has changed.
Friday, July 1
- Rye: Playland Amusement Park is famous for its fireworks show choreographed to music every Friday night, July through Sept. 2. Fireworks start at 9:15 p.m. beginning July 1 with a special holiday fireworks show accompanied by a patriotic musical score on the pier at 9:30 p.m. Sunday, July 3 and Monday, July 4. Enjoy Fourth Fun: (914) 813-7000 or www.ryeplayland.org/ .
- Yonkers: Head to Cross County Shopping Center for a festive fireworks show and live music including performances by British Invasion Tribute Band starting at 7 p.m. Come at 6 p. to enjoy strolling entertainers and free stick flag giveaways. Fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: (914) 968-9570 or www.crosscountysummerfest.com/ .
Saturday, July 2
- Katonah: Pops, Patriots & Fireworks is the theme at Caramoor where guests are invited to picnic on the lawn while enjoying the stilt-walkers, sousa marches, Americana and popular favorites by the Westchester Symphonic Winds as well as American Songbook, patriotic favorites and tributes to Frank Sinatra by Broadway’s Ryan Silverman. The concert starts at 8 p.m. Rain date is July 3. Enjoy Fourth Fun: (914) 232-1252, www.caramoor.org/ .
- Pound Ridge : Fireworks at the Town Park start at dusk. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.townofpoundridge.com/ .
Sunday, July 3
- Valhalla: Celebrate our country's Independence Day with rousing American patriotic music followed by a spectacular fireworks display during the annual Kensico Dam Music Fest. Pre-concert entertainment begins at 6 p.m. and the Bensen-Scott Big Band takes the stage at 8 p.m.; fireworks will follow at approximately 9:15 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun : (914) 231-4500 or www.parks.westchestergov.com/ .
Monday, July 4
- New Rochelle: The Grucci Family of Fireworks can be viewed from the New Rochelle waterfront starting at 9:30 p.m. Optimum viewing locations include Hudson Park and Five Islands Park, New Rochelle. Enjoy Fourth Fun: (914) 654-2087 or www.newrochelleny.com/ .
- Dobbs Ferry: Waterfront Park is the place to be on Independence Day with a DJ and music starting at 3 p.m. Fireworks start around 9 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.dobbsferry.com/ .
- Mamaroneck: Harbor Island Park is the setting for both the annual Fireman's Carnival and the annual firework show. The Long Island Sound serves as the perfect backdrop. Fireworks start around 9 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: (914) 777-7784 or www.village.mamaroneck.ny.us/ .
- Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow: Any of the parks along the river in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow are ideal perches for seeing the fireworks, which begin around 9 p.m. Some of the best viewing is from either Pierson Park in Tarrytown or Kingsland Point Park in Sleepy Hollow. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.tarrytowngov.com/ .
- Peekskill: Head to Riverfront Green at 7 p.m. for a concert by The Barnstorm, followed by fireworks around 9 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.cityofpeekskill.com/ .
- Yonkers: The Yonkers Waterfront is the setting for a host of family-friendly events including children activities and live music starting at 5 p.m. Fireworks start at 9:15 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.yonkersny.gov/ .
- White Plains: The city's annual extravaganza takes place at White Plains High School and features entertainment, inflatable rides, food and fireworks, starting at 6 p.m. Enjoy Fourth Fun: www.cityofwhiteplains.com/ .